Remote notarization utilizing two-way audio/video communication is allowed in the state of Indiana from June, 2021. In order to utilize this remote service,
1) the notary public must be physically in the state of Indiana when performing his notarial act,
2) the person whose signature is being notarized may be anywhere, in or outside the U.S, even in Korea, China or anywhere else,
3) the notarial act must be conducted through the state approved remote technology vendor.
How it works
– Request for consultation for the remote service; email us at email@example.com
– Make a payment through an electronic invoice
– Upload documents to be notarized to the remote technology vendor platform (vendor’s website is to be provided at this point of time)
– Conduct Identification Verification through the platform
– Notary public joins the session and conduct the services
– Confirmation of ID
– Affixing signatures to the documents
– Adding an electronic notarial certificate and affixation of a remote notary seal
The purpose of an acknowledgment is to ensure that the signer of a document is who they claim to be and has voluntarily signed the document. Acknowledgments often are needed for documents concerning valuable assets, such as deeds, mortgages and deeds of trust.
The purpose of a jurat is for a signer to swear or affirm that the contents of a document are true. Depending on the jurisdiction, it also can be known as an affidavit or a verification on oath or affirmation.
In some cases, a client may simply need you to administer an oath or affirmation orally, rather than as part of a jurat, affidavit or other written document. The purpose of administering a verbal oath or affirmation is, again, to compel a client to truthfulness.
A copy certification confirms that a reproduction of an original document is a full, true, and accurate transcription or reproduction of the original. Documents requiring copy certification may include: diplomas, driver’s licenses, leases, contracts, vehicle titles, Social Security cards, medical records and bills of sale.
With this notarial act, you certify that the individual appearing before you is who he or she claims to be, and the signature on the record is the signature of the individual before you. The main difference between a signature witnessing and an acknowledgment is that you witness the document being signed. The main difference between a signature witnessing and a jurat, affidavit, or verification upon oath or affirmation is that, with a signature witnessing, you do not administer an oath.
How is it different from Apostille
Apostille is a certification under the terms of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. It specifies the modalities through which an official seal on a document, issued in one of the contracting states, can be certified for legal purposes in all the other contracting states. Such an apostille is sufficient to certify a document’s validity, and removes the need for double-certification, by the originating country and then by the receiving country. An apostilled US document cannot be used as for the certification purpose in the United States. (source Wikipedia)